2009-09-07

I want it NOW!

0 comments

In this day and age, we are used to everything being handed to us. We want the New Iphone and we want it now. Unfortunately, haste does make waste. If you want the best deals out there or the Best quality, you may have to wait for it. I could get the 8g Iphone today or wait two days for the newer Iphone. I choose to wait. In the plumbing industry, most customers can't wait. We have had some customers wait as long as 2 weeks, usually for parts or we were booked up, but for the most part it is work that needs to be done within a day or two. The people that wait on us during these times get the best deals. I understand how frustrating it can be, but I appreciate patience. Its hard to juggle schedules. Some times things just take longer than expected or you may think of one or two more items when we are there. I try to plan for these, but it usually pushes me back a little in the schedule. For the most part we usually work it in right then. I often wondered how other companies handled this. Recently, I found out that one of my competitors reschedules a visit for every item that he can. This way to charge a trip charge and make more. This type of business is common, I found out. I shake my head at this strategy. Why not take care of it then and there, without all of the hassle. I call it the "while your are here". It could easily be a line item in my accounting software, as much as it happens. I don't mind it at all. I would rather make the customer happy right then, if possible. You would be surprised, how much people appreciate a little giving every once in a while. I have fixed some things in five minutes while doing something else in the house, and charged $5-10 or even for free, (this depends on many factors) and then find out they have been living with that annoyance for years. That is what separates us from others. Another plumbing company may have required a return trip, and then charged another trip fee. I want to make money, but be fair at the same time. I am told that is impossible. I don't think it is, and after 10 years owning a plumbing business I don't plan on changing this philosophy. If you are a homeowner having work done by a Professional in any industry, Keep this thought in mind. "being nice does pay off". That plumber, electrician, or whoever is a person too, and they control how much you pay.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments: to “ I want it NOW!